Bake a loaf of banana bread that’s so sweet, light, cakey, and comforting, no one will know it’s a healthy makeover of this classic treat. Our healthy banana bread uses 100% whole grains, whole milk yogurt, plus honey or maple syrup as a natural sweetener (in sensible amounts!)
Banana bread is delicious, and easy to make. And though we may WANT to eat it for breakfast, most banana bread has the nutrition of dessert.
Well, that was the old way. We’ve made classic, addictive banana bread healthier, without compromising on taste and texture!
Our recipe is rich with sweet banana flavor and it only has a quarter cup of added honey or pure maple syrup to sweeten it just right.
Plus, we fill this bread with other nutritious ingredients like 100% whole wheat flour, yogurt, and crunchy walnuts. We don’t go crazy with added oils, either. And it still tastes absolutely wonderful, with a texture that perfectly walks that line between moist and light.
Make this banana bread for yourself, for your kids, for your mom, or for a friend. There’s no one who will taste this sweet fluffy bread and not think you’re the best human ever for sharing it with them.
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
Banana bread is pretty low-fuss to begin with, and our healthy banana bread is no exception. Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately, then combine them just before baking for a loaf with a fluffy, tender crumb.
More tips for great banana bread:
- Be flexible when it comes to how many bananas you use. If your bananas are on the small side, four is a-OK. If you have three mondo bananas, you won’t need a fourth.
- You don’t NEED to use two kinds of whole wheat flour. But we like the balance of hearty and delicate that comes from a blend of white whole wheat and regular whole wheat.
- To cut down on dishes, melt your butter in a big pot, then add the rest of your wet ingredients right to the pot. You can even mix in your dry ingredients in the same pot!
- Don’t over-mix your batter. A few lumps here and there are OK, and actually make for a fluffier bread.
- Use a light-colored or glass loaf pan to avoid excess browning. Make sure to grease it well, too.
- If you prefer “single serving” banana breads, you can bake this healthy banana bread in a muffin tin. Divide the batter into muffin tin wells (we actually got 15 muffins!) and bake at 350 for 22 minutes.
How Ripe Should My Bananas Be?
The rule of thumb here is pretty much: the riper, the better. Got dark streaky brown bananas falling off their stems? Mash ’em up. It’s banana bread time.
What Can I Add to Banana Bread?
Walnuts are the classic add-in for healthy banana bread. You can also add dried coconut, dried cherries, other nuts (sliced almonds are good), or a half cup of dark chocolate chips for a special treat.
How Should I Store My Banana Bread?
Store banana bread in the fridge for the best flavor. It actually tastes even better on the second day!
You can also freeze extra slices of banana bread in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. They make great quick, on-the-go breakfasts or healthy lunchbox treats.
More Recipes for Banana Lovers
- 19 Ways to Use Ripe Bananas
- Homemade Chocolate Milk
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas
Healthy Banana Bread
.wprm-recipe-rating .wprm-rating-star.wprm-rating-star-full svg * fill: #343434;
- 1 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain
- 2 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one standard-sized loaf pan.
Combine flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside.
Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in syrup, yogurt, vanilla, mashed bananas, and egg. (Make sure the mixture is somewhat cooled before adding the egg.)
Stir in flour mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in nuts, if using.
Pour into loaf pan. Sprinkle extra walnuts on top, if desired, before baking.
Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
The post Healthy Banana Bread Recipe appeared first on Super Healthy Kids.